How To Reduce Dust Mite Allergens
- Wash bedding regularly (every 1 – 2 weeks) at 55-60° C, if possible, to kill mites: (washing with cold water removes 90% of mite allergens; washing at 55-60° C kills mites).
- Wash pillows and duvets in hot water (55-60° C) and encase pillows and mattresses with protective coverings that have a pore size of 6 µm or less.
- Sufficient ventilation of dwellings to decrease humidity; aim to reduce indoor relative humidity to below 50% and avoid damp housing conditions.
- Use a good quality vacuum cleaner (if possible, one fitted with HEPA filter).
- Use a damp duster when dusting and cleaning surfaces.
- Replace wall-to-wall carpets with linoleum or wooden floors that can be wiped clean.
- Remove/reduce curtains and soft furnishings in the bedroom.
- Replace fabric-covered seating with leather or vinyl.
- Exposure of mattresses, rugs, and carpets to direct strong sunlight (for more than three hours) kills mites and can be used in appropriate regions.
How To Avoid Pollen Allergens
- Keep windows closed at peak pollen times.
- Wear glasses or sunglasses to help prevent pollen entering the eyes.
- Consider wearing a mask over nose and mouth to prevent inhalation of pollens at peak time.
- Use air conditioning where possible.
- Install car pollen filters where possible.
Avoid Pet Allergens
If possible, find another home for the pet, and do not introduce new animals into the home. If the pet is not removed from the home, these measures may be helpful:
- Exclude pets from bedrooms and if possible keep pets outdoors.
- Vacuum carpets, mattresses and upholstery regularly.
- Change clothes before going to school/work if you have had contact with any animal.
Avoiding Mold Allergens
- Use dehumidifiers in the home if relative humidity is constantly high (above 50%).
- Ensure heating, ventilation or air-conditioning systems are properly maintained.
- Use 5% ammonia solution to remove mold from bathrooms and other contaminated surfaces.
- Replace carpets with hard flooring; replace wallpaper with paint.
- Repair indoor water damage immediately.
- Avoid cutting grass in late summer when mold spores are present in decaying vegetation.
Cockroach Allergen Avoidance
- Eradicate cockroaches with appropriate insecticide bait.
- Seal cracks in floors and ceilings.
- Enclose all food.
- Do not store waste in the home.
- Scrub floors with water and detergent to remove allergens.